Ξ welcome to cryptostorm's member forums ~ you don't have to be a cryptostorm member to post here Ξ
Ξ any OpenVPN configs found on the forum are likely outdated. For the latest, visit here or GitHub Ξ
Ξ If you're looking for tutorials/guides, check out the new https://cryptostorm.is/#section6 Ξ

Opinions on Private Internet access

Freewheeling spot to chew the fat on anything cryptostorm-related that doesn't fit elsewhere (i.e. support, howto, &c.). Criticism & praise & brainstorming & requests for explanation... this is where it goes when it's hot & ready for action! :-)

Topic Author
polarissucks01

Opinions on Private Internet access

Post by polarissucks01 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi, I WAS a subscriber to private internet access for a while. They had great speeds and great support and allowed a lot of devices. this got me to thinking, how can they offer so many server for so cheap and when asked about if they log it was just a firm, no we dont log. They never say any more or any less. I then found cryptostorm. Equal speed, better encryption and what seems to be a whole forum fascinated with security which I like better. Whats everyones opinion on private internet access? Do you think they are sell outs? Can a company that operates in this way not match a user to its real ip. I am in no way trying to endorse them or anything. If this is inappropriate delete, and I apologize.

DesuStrike
ForumHelper

Re: Opinions on Private Internet access

Post by DesuStrike » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:33 pm

I personally never used PIA but I know for a fact that lots of people here can give you way more than just an opinion about them both from the point of view of a customer and a team that knows how to security right.

AFAIK PIA once got so pissed about being called out that they started a trolling campaign both over at reddit and here on the forums. But this was before my time here...
home is where the artillery hits

Topic Author
polarissucks01

Post by polarissucks01 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:23 am

Thanks for the reply. I hate the fact that when you ask private internet access anything they really dont answer. I ask PJ a question and he answers back quickly all the time. Even going to level 2 support with PIA they just dont give a shit. Whether it be about how they dont log or anything else. I asked them why their auto server mode sucks way worst than anyone elses and why it was putting me on servers half way across the world when clearly it wasnt the best auto choice. Their answer was to simply connect manually. They didnt even want to try and fix it.

Pattern_Juggled

Post by Pattern_Juggled » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:26 pm

DesuStrike wrote:AFAIK PIA once got so pissed about being called out that they started a trolling campaign both over at reddit and here on the forums. But this was before my time here...
No, no - to be fair to PIA, they've never done that and we've never suggested they have. That was Torguard, and their little buddies at ED. Full details archived here. There's nonpublic bits of that, in terms of the final resolution, which I've given my word to keep private. And I keep my word. But... yeah.

Our public critique of PIA's marketing-hype-centric approach to "VPN service" is fairly well represented in this thread. Again, there was additional one-on-one correspondence between us that came out of that. And, although I never promised to keep that discussion private, it feels smarmy to take email that is shared between two people and stick it on front street - absent a very good reason. I lack that reason, and I think the public data on their approach to their customers is more than enough to draw accurate conclusions, for those who care.

They've certainly got the TorrentFreak boys waving the pom-poms for them - that's as disgusting as anything I've seen in recent years, when it comes to substance-free hyping of useless "privacy services." PIA is great at SEO, they've bought and paid for pretty much every "VPN review" website so they get "glowing reviews" (along with, laughably, Snitch My Ass)... their actual tech sucks, but hey who cares?

Hell, they trolled Ars last year - Ars, ffs! - with some bullshit fairytale about being 'attacked' by 'l337 superhaxors' but they bravely prevailed... by installing iptables! I kid you not. This was "news," right alongside Snowden blowing the whistle on $50 billion of illegal military spy tech infiltrating the civilian world.

Two words: "alien technology." That's PIA's claim to fame. They were bragging about their encryptions being "unbreakable" unless someone had access to alien technology... at exactly the same time they were using 1024 bit RSA for asymmetric key exchange. Oops, again. But, hey... nobody cared!

The guy brags about being a cofounder of bitcoin or whatever... only thing is, the real developers who actually built that project have never heard of the kid. That's pretty telling. Hypeware 101.

Oh, and yeah... their "private certificates" are mass-generated and sent over the wire insecurely. And they're not private - they're the same, for everyone. In this, PIA is hardly alone - but still.

...and nobody cares!

All you really need to do is read their Terms of Service. They say right out that they'll snitch you out, in a heartbeat. And they do - their record is crystal clear. They don't hide it, give 'em that.

...and people still give them money for "VPN service." Wonders never cease.
...just a scatterbrained network topologist & crypto systems architect……… ҉҉҉

[list]✨ ✨ ✨[/list]
pj@ðëëþ.bekeybase pgpmit pgpðørkßöt-on-consolegit 'er github
bitmessage:
BM-NBBqTcefbdgjCyQpAKFGKw9udBZzDr7f[/color]

DesuStrike
ForumHelper

Post by DesuStrike » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:15 pm

Sorry for the mixup. This was kinda careless of me. You should only accuse people of what they actually did based on facts!

Still when I hear PIA I think of "alien technology" and that already cranks up my bullshit buzzword detector to the max.
home is where the artillery hits