We highly recommend to download F-Droid, a FOSS(Free and Open Source Software) market, because it offers most apps that you'll find here!
AFWall+ available on Play Store and FDroid is a great firewall.
Minimal setup is to whitelist just OpenVPN for Android and VPN networking.
To enable VPN Control:
Menu > Preferences > Enable VPN Control
(WARNING: Experimental Feature. It may block all data COMPLETELY on some ROMs until deaactivated)
Fix Data Startup Leak:
Menu > Preferences > Enable Fix Startup Data Leak
Enable each program you need under VPN Control to allow it through your VPN.
DNS proxy may be required for apps that use the netd command like bitcoin. Tor nor I2P use netd, it can be turned on and off as needed when some whitelisted apps aren't getting through.
2. Xposed Framework and VPNDialog Xposed Module
Using Xposed Framework(latest installer here), an Android Framework that allows customizing of your ROM. Arne developed a VPNDialog Xposed Module(Download) that takes care of the confirmation window where you have to agree and Confirm to get the VPN running.
3. Freezing/Defrosting Packages
I am skeptical of any of Google's apps, as many of us here probably are. The Play Store has its uses, but when utilizing a VPN its generally not good to have our Android and its user/device identifiable information hitting Google's server while on a VPN.
To start you will need Terminal Emulator from Play Store or FDroid. A backup utility such as Titanium Backup or ROM Toolbox Pro both have a GUI and allow you freeze/defrost apps as well.
The 4 apps I would recommend freezing before connecting to your VPN:
- Google Play Store (com.android.vending)
- Google Search (com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox)
- Google Play Services (com.google.android.gms)
- Google Services Framework (com.google.android.gsf)
To gain root type su
Confirm root access by watching the $ before the cursor change to #
To freeze/disable these apps we will Package Manager:
- pm disable com.android.vending
- pm disable com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox
- pm disable com.google.android.gms
- pm disable com.google.android.gsf