Openvpn connection resolver issues?

Looking for assistance with a cryptostorm connection issue? Post here & we'll help out. Also: if you're not sure where to post, do so here & we'll move things around as needed. Also: for quickest support, email our oddly calm & easygoing support reps at support@cryptostorm.is :)
cryptomon

Openvpn connection resolver issues?

Post by cryptomon » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:19 am

Are there any known connection or resolver issues? Trying to resolve dns the last few days has been problematic or very slow.

(PS.Why is there so much spam on this site?)

cryptomon

Re: Openvpn connection resolver issues?

Post by cryptomon » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:25 pm

In particular I can't use the balancer profile, which I have used for a long period, without too much incident. Randomly trying the switzerland server things are much better so far. So it isn't me, thankfully.
Things seem to happen with this stuff and I seem to be in the dark as to why.

parityboy
Site Admin

Post by parityboy » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:49 am

@OP

Apologies for the late reply, work has kept me busy...although, I'm surprised no one else has chimed in before now. Anyway, can you pick one of the balancer IPs and connect to it directly? What happens?

P.S. This site really needs a CAPTCHA, it's long overdue.

cryptomon

Post by cryptomon » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:15 am

Thank you for the input. I managed to resolve my situation by connecting to another server. Switzerland turned out to actually be down, which may have been the issue.
Overall I am greatful for the problem because it forced me to look at all my setup. I discovered "tcpdump" in the process and learned even more aout iptables. Turns out I actually was running a rule that was incorrectly applied, now my vpn is better than ever in terms of connection and stablility.
I even wrote my own balancer algorithm to allow changing of servers on a daily basis.
Still I'm never sure I have fully understood or implemented anything correctly as I know I don't understand much, but just do the best I can with no inclination to use another service that might do it all for you. No learning in that. :)

parityboy
Site Admin

Post by parityboy » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:42 am

@OP

Glad you got it resolved and youŕe right - thereś no learning to be had with an oven-ready solution. :D