Ξ welcome to cryptostorm's member forums ~ you don't have to be a cryptostorm member to post here Ξ
Ξ any OpenVPN configs found on the forum are likely outdated. For the latest, visit here or GitHub Ξ
Ξ If you're looking for tutorials/guides, check out the new https://cryptostorm.is/#section6 Ξ

What's happened to PJ ?

Looking for assistance with a cryptostorm connection issue? Post here & we'll help out. Also: if you're not sure where to post, do so here & we'll move things around as needed. Also: for quickest support, email our oddly calm & easygoing support reps at support@cryptostorm.is :)

Topic Author
JH

What's happened to PJ ?

Post by JH » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:50 am

Hey, i'm following Crypto twitter and i have seen what's happened to Spink aka pj, again.

Question is: what will be the future of Crypto VPN?

Thanks

Khariz

Re: What's happened to PJ ?

Post by Khariz » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:07 am

You know PJ has basically nothing at all to do with the day to day operations of CryptoStorm, right? He's been MIA due to his legal issues for most of the time since last autumn. He was only back for a couple of weeks.

Fermi and df have it handled. We will be fine.

Post by guest » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:35 am

Sure, maybe he hasn't been a part of the cryptostorm operations for a while, but it's still strange how the admins have been acting. For the time being, I've switched VPNs until this gets properly sorted out and discussed.

As a side note, I'm not shilling for any other providers. I like cryptostorm because they're fast, have plenty of servers and I'm interested to see where voodoo goes. But if there is any opaqueness with the service and how it's run, then my trust level will obviously be lower and I'd have to consider full time switching to another provider. I doubt PJ would snitch on any of the more questionable users considering his past, but reassuring us that the network is secure isn't the right way to go about it..

Either way, I hope cryptostorm can figure things out and explain in a reasonable manner, I'd sure like to come back.

Cryptoishard

Post by Cryptoishard » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:18 pm

Looking at Pattern_Juggled's profile on this forum shows he's not a moderator anymore maybe not staff either?

Topic Author
JH

Post by JH » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Got it, thanks. But doubts are hard to delete in this field. By the way hope nothing will happen to Crypto VPN.

Post by 011235813 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:15 pm

Cryptoishard wrote:Looking at Pattern_Juggled's profile on this forum shows he's not a moderator anymore maybe not staff either?
I really like the guys verbiage and knowledge, and this lot do need a more chatty type at times. But could you imagine running a privacy related business when the Front was getting dramatically arrested, effectively publicly, for weird&&||chaotic shit all the time?

Ouch.

Khariz

Post by Khariz » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:54 pm

Cryptoishard wrote:Looking at Pattern_Juggled's profile on this forum shows he's not a moderator anymore maybe not staff either?
I'm sure that the rest of the admin team have had it with his bullshit. If nothing else, he is certain harming the reputation of this place

Cryptoishard

Post by Cryptoishard » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:49 am

Khariz wrote:
I'm sure that the rest of the admin team have had it with his bullshit. If nothing else, he is certain harming the reputation of this place
Agreed, as a potential customer I'm sick of it too.

tmm22

Post by tmm22 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:58 am

He is one of the main reasons I never personally sign up for your service as it would be benefiting him financially secondly with his knowledge of interworking of the service there is no telling what would do in order to reduce his sentence e.g. compromising keys et cetera
I think I'm not the only one who has been turned off your service by his involvement
kind regards Paul

tmm22

Post by tmm22 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:43 am

I have decided to sign up to try your service as irrespective of what one of the core team members has done the underlying technology should be secure Hopefully with that being said I will not make your service my primary privacy service will be

hashtable

Post by hashtable » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:34 pm

I've gathered enough info from blog / forum posts (sometimes you have to dig deep to find the stuff) to feel like I know what's up, and it all seems rather personal / indirectly related to the cs service itself. Most of the protocol / design is talked about very openly - assuming what they say is true - it's designed to be resilient to server's being compromised or 'rouge admin'. I'm not aware of another service that has openly talked about a fraction of what I've read here.

Khariz

Post by Khariz » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:59 pm

Like I said above, PJ doesn't have much to do with the actual technical operation of the VPN services. If df suddenly disappears, it's time to jump ship.

PJ is more of a stream-of-consciousness mouthpiece that is good at explaining stuff and waxing philosophical on issues related to privacy. I love reading what he says. I really don't care at all what he likes to do in his personal time.

But to be fair, here's what people are concerned about: They think there is evidence that PJ has been a snitch before to get himself out of a rather lengthy sentence (this is just conjecture, we have no idea), and that he might sell out his VPN service into becoming a honeypot in order to get himself a reduced sentence again.

Personally, I think this idea is ridiculous. First of all, I don't think PJ has the mechanical ability to hand over anything. I think other people have the keys, and there's no way for him to turn it over. Secondly, I think CryptoStorm is his baby, and that he would rather rot in prison than compromise the core values that he espouses on here every day. That's the impression I get anyway. I think he would just as soon shut this whole company down than sell us all out to a government honeypot.

parityboy
Site Admin

Post by parityboy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:03 pm

Khariz wrote:I think he would just as soon shut this whole company down than sell us all out to a government honeypot.
The deliberately distributed and decentralized nature of the CS team will likely make even that extremely difficult, if not impossible. But like you say, if df disappears, it's time to flee.

Topic Author
JH

Post by JH » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:11 pm

parityboy wrote:
Khariz wrote:I think he would just as soon shut this whole company down than sell us all out to a government honeypot.
The deliberately distributed and decentralized nature of the CS team will likely make even that extremely difficult, if not impossible. But like you say, if df disappears, it's time to flee.
Agree with both, hope you will be right buddies ;)

Tealc
ForumHelper

Post by Tealc » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:14 pm

parityboy wrote:
All of you guys put out value points and has I said before, PJ is the heart and soul of CS, we all saw that the last time he was "out the picture" servers started to die, and news about CS in forum our some other form where almost nonexistent.
I believe in the CS staff and the community!

Stay safe

hashtable

Post by hashtable » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:44 pm

Tealc wrote:
parityboy wrote:
All of you guys put out value points and has I said before, PJ is the heart and soul of CS, we all saw that the last time he was "out the picture" servers started to die, and news about CS in forum our some other form where almost nonexistent.
I believe in the CS staff and the community!

Stay safe
I'm slowly starting to understand the social context. I wasn't even aware of role PJ had here, although I probably read some of his blog posts... his writing style is very similar to how my mind works :)

I agree with what everyone said - and we need someone willing to 'hold the torch' and keep this idea alive or else the system will slowly fade away...

http://www.marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/un ... verything/

http://www.marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/el ... f-secrecy/

empty

Post by empty » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:34 am

Tealc wrote:PJ is the heart and soul of CS, we all saw that the last time he was "out the picture" servers started to die, and news about CS in forum our some other form where almost nonexistent.
I've always felt that this service runs better when PJ is about, but I'm not sure if that's a real thing or not...there certainly is a communication vacuum in his absence and I doubt finding a replacement is possible.

For anyone unaware of what all the fuss with his personal life is about, if you have an hour to spare I highly recommend listening to this interview from a few years ago...it really does put some of the story into perspective from PJs side and helps explain where some of his seemingly irrational behaviour stems from:

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/whar-tn ... k-38189976

Also, I don't know if the last post in the "Praising the Cryptostorm team" thread is from "our" PJ or not...it's either one of the most disturbing things I've seen him write or the weirdest spam ever.

df
Site Admin

Post by df » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:04 am

df here, just noticed this thread so thought I might as well comment on some of what was said:
(yea, yea, I know. I don't visit the forum often enough.)
CS will continue regardless of whatever happens to PJ.
You know PJ has basically nothing at all to do with the day to day operations of CryptoStorm, right? He's been MIA due to his legal issues for most of the time since last autumn. He was only back for a couple of weeks.
This is true. PJ hasn't had any access to the day to day stuff since the beginning of 2015. In his recent return the only thing he was given access to was his personal email account, his forum account, and twitter (although we kept a close eye on what was being said on the latter, just so we knew whether or not to pull the plug on him).
Fermi and df have it handled. We will be fine.
This is also true :-)
Sure, maybe he hasn't been a part of the cryptostorm operations for a while, but it's still strange how the admins have been acting. For the time being, I've switched VPNs until this gets properly sorted out and discussed.
In our defense, we're pretty strange even when PJ is around.
As a side note, I'm not shilling for any other providers. I like cryptostorm because they're fast, have plenty of servers and I'm interested to see where voodoo goes. But if there is any opaqueness with the service and how it's run, then my trust level will obviously be lower and I'd have to consider full time switching to another provider. I doubt PJ would snitch on any of the more questionable users considering his past, but reassuring us that the network is secure isn't the right way to go about it..
We've always been pretty open about the structure of the network. There's no "secret knowledge" PJ has that could be used against CS, because we're so open about CS internals. Even if PJ was ever offered some kind of deal, I know him well enough to know that regardless of whatever state of mind he's currently in, that option would never even register as a possibility.
Either way, I hope cryptostorm can figure things out and explain in a reasonable manner, I'd sure like to come back.
We've chosen not to publicly comment on the details of his current situation because they are personal and unrelated to CS.
Looking at Pattern_Juggled's profile on this forum shows he's not a moderator anymore maybe not staff either?
For security reasons, the small amount of access he was given on his most recent return has been completely revoked (forum, email, twitter, etc.).
I really like the guys verbiage and knowledge, and this lot do need a more chatty type at times. But could you imagine running a privacy related business when the Front was getting dramatically arrested, effectively publicly, for weird&&||chaotic shit all the time?

PJ is very knowledgeable in the field of cryptography and the theoretical aspects of network topologies, which made his posts here interesting, and valuable. That amount of information can take days/weeks to compile into a single coherent post, and I'm usually too busy with the server-side and widget dev stuff to spend that much time on those types of things. Unfortunately, whenever PJ gets arrested I have to pop into the public side of things and reassure everyone that CS is still just fine, and will continue to grow.
At this point, I think that the publicity gained from PJ's positive contributions to CS are being greatly overshadowed by the amount of bad publicity that come from his arrests. It is highly possible that he is completely innocent in this most recent incident, but regardless, it still hurts our reputation every time something like this happens.
He is one of the main reasons I never personally sign up for your service as it would be benefiting him financially secondly with his knowledge of interworking of the service there is no telling what would do in order to reduce his sentence e.g. compromising keys et cetera
Just to be clear, PJ currently receives no money from CS, nor does he have access to any of the CS financial accounts. As I've stated earlier, his "knowledge of interworking of the service" is something that we've published openly. It's not secret. As for the parts that are secret for security reasons (TLS/SSL keys, etc.), he's never had access to them. He hasn't had access to any of the nodes/servers since the beginning of 2015, and even then I knew every single command he executed, so I would have known if he copied them off to another server. Plus, he really doesn't have as much experience with Linux security as I do, and he wouldn't know how to disable the different logging mechanisms I have in place or the monitors that are there to alert us in the unlikely event that a server is ever compromised.
I think I'm not the only one who has been turned off your service by his involvement
Yea, even if he's completely innocent of all the charges from his past that everyone hears about every time he gets arrested, it still hurts the CS image.
I've gathered enough info from blog / forum posts (sometimes you have to dig deep to find the stuff) to feel like I know what's up, and it all seems rather personal / indirectly related to the cs service itself. Most of the protocol / design is talked about very openly - assuming what they say is true - it's designed to be resilient to server's being compromised or 'rouge admin'. I'm not aware of another service that has openly talked about a fraction of what I've read here.
"assuming what they say is true". This is the problem with using any VPN. A lot of providers will make fantastic claims about their security, but without root access to the server running OpenVPN you really have no clue what's going on server-side. We try to alleviate these concerns by avoiding meaningless marketing terms and instead provide technical (reproducible, therefore verifiable) details about our network structure and it's components.
Like I said above, PJ doesn't have much to do with the actual technical operation of the VPN services. If df suddenly disappears, it's time to jump ship.
Barring acts of god (brains eaten by zombies, ran over by an ice cream truck driven by Needles Kane, alien abduction, etc.), df will be around for many years to come :-)
PJ is more of a stream-of-consciousness mouthpiece that is good at explaining stuff and waxing philosophical on issues related to privacy. I love reading what he says. I really don't care at all what he likes to do in his personal time.

Yep. He's always been more the public facing side of CS.
But to be fair, here's what people are concerned about: They think there is evidence that PJ has been a snitch before to get himself out of a rather lengthy sentence (this is just conjecture, we have no idea), and that he might sell out his VPN service into becoming a honeypot in order to get himself a reduced sentence again.
As mentioned above, I know PJ well enough to know that this would never happen, but in some alternate universe where he did try to sell out the VPN into becoming a honeypot, he simply doesn't have the access or know-how to pull off such a feat.
Personally, I think this idea is ridiculous. First of all, I don't think PJ has the mechanical ability to hand over anything. I think other people have the keys, and there's no way for him to turn it over. Secondly, I think CryptoStorm is his baby, and that he would rather rot in prison than compromise the core values that he espouses on here every day. That's the impression I get anyway. I think he would just as soon shut this whole company down than sell us all out to a government honeypot.
Yep, see above. And yes, as a co-creator (along with me and one other person), he would rather rot in prison than betray our clients. Same goes for me and the other co-creator. CS would be shut down long before it can be of any use to any misguided government agents.
Just to clarify, servers didn't die last time PJ was "out of the picture" because of PJ. They died due to unrelated issues. It was abuse/DMCA mostly, and over-billing for rarely used servers that were better off replaced for something better (like majulah [malaysia]). Almost all of those dead servers have been replaced with others either in the same region or in a nearby one (miyamoto [japan]/majulah [malaysia] -> oldboy [south korea], etc. We're currently considering opening a new Japan node under the same provider as oldboy, but Japan data centers can be real bitchy when it comes to DMCA [it's why miyamoto died, even though DMCA is a god damn american law that has nothing to do with Japan. bah!).
I'm slowly starting to understand the social context. I wasn't even aware of role PJ had here, although I probably read some of his blog posts... his writing style is very similar to how my mind works :)
His writing style is a good representation of his mind. Highly intelligent, a little bit crazed, but when he sits down and takes the time to articulate those thoughts into something coherent, the output is usually pretty interesting.
I agree with what everyone said - and we need someone willing to 'hold the torch' and keep this idea alive or else the system will slowly fade away...
PJ burned his hand on the torch a few years back, so I've been holding onto it :-)
I've always felt that this service runs better when PJ is about, but I'm not sure if that's a real thing or not...there certainly is a communication vacuum in his absence and I doubt finding a replacement is possible.
I'll agree that less is said in the public areas when PJ isn't around, but that's only because we're busy focusing on the stuff going on behind the scenes. We would rather the network continue to run smoothly than worry about what tweets are trending, or whatever the hell you call it.

I hope that information helps anyone who's concerned about CS or PJ's integrity. I'll go back to finishing up the v3 widget for a proper stable release. Also, I went ahead and ordered a new secondary Switzerland node because you torrent monkeys have been hitting that one up pretty hard. That should balance things out enough that nobody will have anymore speed problems during the busy hours. Oh and I've ordered a new node in Oslo, Norway, for no real reason. We'll do a proper announcement once those two get provisioned.

vpnDarknet

Post by vpnDarknet » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:29 am

Thank you for your responses man, all reassuring.

Nice one on the new nodes, any new voodoo options on the horizon?
Buy your tokens via vpnDark.net and cryptostorm cannot and does not know anything about users - no link between a token & purchase details
Unofficial Wiki cryptostorm access guide
Ways to talk to me

df
Site Admin

Post by df » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:23 pm

Voodoo options are pretty much "If we think it looks like a cool exitnode and it's not insanely expensive", it gets thrown into the pot.

marzametal

Post by marzametal » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:16 pm

Cheers for putting out the fire of the nay-sayers dee eff...

Soon as some randoms hear about stories of animals and stuff (well, anything really...), they go bezerk with insane thoughts. I bet they all hold skeletons in their closets too. Just shut the fuck up already, all of you.

If you like the service CS provides, then subscribe; if not, then take your whinging, sooking and he-said/she-said mumbo jumbo straight up your poop shoot.

If the shitstorm surrounding one bloke is enough for you to ditch this wonderful product, it is proof enough that you don't deserve to make use of such a service. Go suck the tinea off of iVPN's toes. Nuff said.
df wrote:Voodoo options are pretty much "If we think it looks like a cool exitnode and it's not insanely expensive", it gets thrown into the pot.
I'm loving the USA West - Iceland Voodoo Node... she's a hottie ;)

Fermi
Site Admin

Post by Fermi » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:09 pm

df wrote:df here, just noticed this thread so thought I might as well comment on some of what was said:
(yea, yea, I know. I don't visit the forum often enough.)
CS will continue regardless of whatever happens to PJ.
To continue in the same way:
Fermi here ...
I concur with df and will continue to support Cryptostorm by any means possible as I did in the past.
I'll agree that less is said in the public areas when PJ isn't around, but that's only because we're busy focusing on the stuff going on behind the scenes. We would rather the network continue to run smoothly than worry about what tweets are trending, or whatever the hell you call it.
We indeed need to work on that as this as this is an important aspect of the service. We'll do our best to improve. Just don't expect the same style / eloquence ... .

Cryptostorm is very different from the most other VPN providers out there, but I'm convinced Cryptostorm has a lot of potential.

Take care out there and contact us when you feel you have some issues/remarks ... .

Greetz,

/fermi

Tealc
ForumHelper

Post by Tealc » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:30 pm

10 minutes into this: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/whar-tn ... k-38189976

He started to speak the real truth behind his arrest.

It's really a good interview, to bad the journalist is a douche

oio8hyp[p

Post by oio8hyp[p » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:00 am

Really does feel like we're dealing with actual human beings here. Feels kinda weird after dealing with firms run by robots for so long, but I like it. I'll deal with the weirdness.

parityboy
Site Admin

Post by parityboy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:39 am

Fermi wrote: Cryptostorm is very different from the most other VPN providers out there, but I'm convinced Cryptostorm has a lot of potential.
Cryptostorm has enormous potential which is precisely why I support it. :D

Roy Thinnes

Post by Roy Thinnes » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:57 pm

Fermi wrote:my snip...

We indeed need to work on that as this as this is an important aspect of the service. We'll do our best to improve. Just don't expect the same style / eloquence ... .

...my snip
Just a virtual presence is all that's needed. A silent vacuum is all too easily filled with fallacies and fears, or notions of you not caring about your customers...or whatever it is an individual, or organisation, chooses fill that void with. Own your space even if it's only 'fucking twitter', or those newspaper articles/bloggers will do it for you. More.

hashtable

Post by hashtable » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:23 pm

Thanks for the detailed responses :) I only wrote 'assuming what said is true' as a logical clarification - just to cover all the grounds. I trust the CS team more than myself setting up the local configs. I literaly have no idea what I'm doing - but I know bullshit when I see it, and everything here checks out legit. I'm talking about psychology - what's said and how it's spoken - combined with a few years of CS knowledge - specifically knowledge of the current state of the modern structure of the internet - the weaknesses - etc.

Be warned - there is bullshit EVERYWHERE on the internet. Especially in VPN land - it's obnoxious - but I wouldn't be here if I didn't trust it - not just the people - but the topology of the network. Trust is probably one of the rarest treasures to find in this minefield of BS... CS is literally the only internet service I trust.

People be paranoid.

df
Site Admin

Post by df » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:12 am

Also, I went ahead and ordered a new secondary Switzerland node because you torrent monkeys have been hitting that one up pretty hard. That should balance things out enough that nobody will have anymore speed problems during the busy hours. Oh and I've ordered a new node in Oslo, Norway, for no real reason. We'll do a proper announcement once those two get provisioned.
Heh, I'm quoting myself here. Just in case you guys aren't following twitter, or https://cryptostorm.is/uptime , or github, or nodelist.txt updates - the secondary Switzerland server is up and running and has been added to the Switzerland cluster. Oslo, Norway is also up, and I just finished with a new UK node in Rugby, England.

idontjudgepj

Post by idontjudgepj » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:17 am

IF YOU GUYS do recall how #RogerVer fell out of favor fast with the feds you can notice that they are using dirty=-tricks to discredit cs and wat it stands for.

give them an ounce of reason/suspicion to blackmail/extort you .. and they will grab at it to muzzle you. it has happened before.. that is why many are under cs umbrella because of this real threat.

stay safe stay strong

you're telling me none of the feds in power never done shite stuff worth uncovering (in their personal lives)?

As long as they aren't using cs vpns idk where and how they are hiding these...