Connecting with old key

Looking for assistance with a cryptostorm connection issue? Post here & we'll help out. Also: if you're not sure where to post, do so here & we'll move things around as needed. Also: for quickest support, email our oddly calm & easygoing support reps at support@cryptostorm.is :)
awesome222

Connecting with old key

Post by awesome222 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:32 am

I've been using this service on and off for a while.
I have a few keys I bought a while ago and so far I've been able to log in with same key for over 2 weeks.
This seems incredibly suspicious.
What's going on?

parityboy
Site Admin

Re: Connecting with old key

Post by parityboy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:05 pm

@OP

Keys do not become active until first use. What is the duration of the keys you purchased?

df
Site Admin

Post by df » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:08 pm

The auth server was down for a bit. If the server-side OpenVPN can't connect to the auth server, it lets anyone in regardless of whether the token is valid/expired or not. This is so users are still protected even if the auth server is unreachable. It's back up now though, so keys/tokens should be expiring like normal. Also, as parityboy said, tokens don't start to expire until first use, so even when the auth server is behaving normally a token won't start expiring until the first time you connect with it. So a one week token purchased a year ago would still be valid today if you've never used it.

awesome222

Post by awesome222 » Thu May 06, 2021 7:37 am

df wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:08 pm
The auth server was down for a bit. If the server-side OpenVPN can't connect to the auth server, it lets anyone in regardless of whether the token is valid/expired or not. This is so users are still protected even if the auth server is unreachable. It's back up now though, so keys/tokens should be expiring like normal. Also, as parityboy said, tokens don't start to expire until first use, so even when the auth server is behaving normally a token won't start expiring until the first time you connect with it. So a one week token purchased a year ago would still be valid today if you've never used it.
That's very smart, thank you! Another reason to stick around and recommend your services to my friends!